Using Moth Foggers and Bomb Treatments at Home
'Fumers', 'Smokes', 'Smoke Bombs' - The name's not important, it's the facts that matter! Our Fumers are very effective at getting deep into the heart of an infestation. Used by professional Pest Controllers and safe for DIY users they are a 'must have' for anyone tackling a Moth problem. If you have a room or number of rooms where an infestation of Moths is underway a treatment of Fumers is a powerful and hard-hitting 'first attack' that will put you in a strong position to remove these pests for good.
The Facts About Fumers
The name 'Fumer' or 'Smoke Bomb' can wrongly put people off fuming their homes. There is a misbelief that smoke will get everywhere and leave the house smelling like a bonfire! However, this is not the case and the facts are here:
- Fumers are a non invasive clean solution to removing your Moth problem
- They only smoke for approximately 15-30 seconds
- They do not fill the room with a dense smoke
- They will not leave a sticky residue or ash/powder on your furniture
- They will leave the room clean and odour free
The main purpose of mothballs is to kill adult clothes moths, their eggs, and the larvae that cause damage to your clothing. Mothballs are also an inexpensive method when compared to other pest prevention services.
Mothballs are meant to only be used one way. Package directions generally indicate that you put mothballs in an airtight container alongside the clothing you wish to protect from moths. You need to put the mothballs in an airtight container because the fumes are toxic.
Since mothballs contain toxic ingredients, you will want to air out any clothing that was stored alongside them. That will eliminate any trace of the odour. Afterwards, be sure to wash the clothing as well.
We stock 2 sizes of the Moth Fumer: The Mini (3.5gm) and Midi (15gm). Each is available to purchase as a Single or as a Bulk Buy to give you a broad choice to suit your situation. Our Bulk Buys save you up to 10% compared to buying separately.
Instructions for using a Fumer
Contains 13.25% w/w permethrin.
Applications: For use against flying and crawling insects such as houseflies, clusterflies, fruitflies, mosquitoes, wasps, moths, fleas, bed bugs, ants, cockroaches and stored product pests including saw-toothed grain beetle and adult grain weevils. For use in domestic situations, public hygiene areas including hospitals (not occupied wards), industrial and municipal buildings and food handling / storage / manufacturing premises. May also be used in zoos, pet shops, kennels, veterinary practices and laboratory animal houses (excluding animal pens and cages). No for use on grain or in empty grain stores.
For best results fumigate in the late afternoon and leave the house or building for a minimum period of 4 hours.
- Consider how many fumers you need for the room to be treated (consult Rate of Application). Heavy infestations may require more than one application
- Clear people and animals including fish from the room before use
- Open Wardrobe Doors & Clothes Drawers and leave clothing in the room when treating against Clothes Moths . Similarly leave bed linen and other textiles in place
- Place canister(s) spaced out on the floor surface on a heat resistant surface e.g. a plate on top of a sheet of aluminium foil 50cm x 50cm. IMPORTANT: THIS PRODUCT MAY EMIT SOME SPARKS UPON IGNITION. SMOKE ALARMS MAY BE AFFECTED.
- Make the area to be fumigated as smoke tight as possible by closing all windows etc
- Open canister(s) and light the fuse on the canister furthest from your exit point first, then light the next fumer and move towards your exit point. Close the door on exit, it is not necessary to seal the door with tape
- Leave for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight and then ventilate the room thoroughly
- For severe infestations fumigate 3 times at 5 to 7 day intervals
This product must not be used against houseflies in intensive or controlled environment animal houses because it is likely to cause control failure due to insecticide resistance.
Rate of Application
The rate of application will depend on the size of the fumers listed below. Next all you have to do is calculate the number of fumers required for your size of room. To calculate this you will multiply the length, width, and height of the particular room and divide it by the cubic metres each fumer is able to fill. For this instance it’s 30 cubic metres for a mini fumer and 125 cubic metres for the midi fumer.
It’s that easy! You got this!
Fumer Size & Coverage
How to Calculate Number of Fumers Required for Your Room
- Multiply (L)m X (W)m X (H)m / 30 [for Mini Fumer (3.5gm)]
- Multiply (L)m X (W)m X (H)m / 125 [for Midi Fumer (15gm)]
MothPrevention® speak to customers every day about their clothes moth issues - clothes moths are a species that are ever increasing and that can cause significant damage to clothes, carpets and other home textiles.
To date, we’ve helped over 150,000 customers deal with their moth problems. We have developed professional grade solutions including proprietary pheromones engineered in Germany to the highest production standards.